Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hail to the Princess Lydia!

How do you know you have a three year old girl? Every thing is princess. These dolls are, from left to right, Aurora, Belle, and Ariel. Every pink dress is an Aurora dress, and every Blue dress a Cinderella one. Heaven forbid if you suggest a green or purple dress - those aren't any princesses! Your bedding (compliments of grandparents) are Disney princess themed. You can sleep on your princess sheets in your princess pajamas. (Although your princess obsession cannot explain your headgear).

You know all the words to the Aurora song -

I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream

I know you, the gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam
And I know it's true, that visions are seldom what they seem
But if I know you, I know that it's true
You'll love me at once, the way you did once, upon a dream.

More tellingly, both of your parents will also know all the words.
You dry off from baths in your princess towel - apparently with an also appropriately Princess snooty expression.You often spend your days dressed up, over your blue Cinderella dress, in your dressup, obligatory pink princess dress. Your favorite color is pink - pink everything. In short, your name is Lydia.

Note - I do not know where this princess obsession came from - it must be hardwired into Lydia's brain. She's been equally exposed to many Children's movies, and we do not buy her "themed" toys - but here it is. I just try and emphasize the general princess theme, and not the specific Disney Princess theme, so I don't feel so much like my child is a walking advertisement.

6 comments:

  1. I so worry about my girls wanting to pursue all things Disney princess (shudder).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girls went through very long "pink" stages. No clothes, either for themselves or their dolls, could be anything but pink. My nieces were the same way. It's got to be hardwired in, as you say. There weren't quite as many princesses, so they had to be ballerinas instead. And ask Elizabeth about headgear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. So many of her three year old cousins are princesses too. Give the princess a hug and kiss for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my 4 year old sister rebecca is just like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, there are most definitely differences between three-year-old boys and girls. We were at "Disney on Ice" last week, and Benjamin was bored out of his mind during the princess part, while the female half of the audience shrieked and cooed. He wanted to know when the show was going to be over...but he got into it again as soon as they got off the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. at our house its mostly star wars and light sabors followed closly by batman, spiderman, pirats ( from peter pan) and baseball. we play alot of baseball. porter even spouts off things like " that was a line drive" which i dont even know what means but i guess cory taught him the phraseology of baseball. i would love a girl so we could have tea parties and dress up and i could do their hair and we could have a varation in halloween costumes and church attire!

    ReplyDelete