Thursday, January 7, 2010

Books I read in 2009

In order to form a more perfect blog layout, I'd like to clear the reading list for 2009, so I can begin anew on 2010. (What is it with me and book lists for these two last posts?) This is the first time in my life I've ever listed every book I've read. In fact, in third grade I got a D in English because we were supposed to list every book we read, and I didn't. Bad Thora. So now I am redeeming myself, but don't worry, I don't expect any of you to read this list - making a blog post is just a convenient way of recording the list down for my posterity, who also won't care.


Way post edit - so I just realized that Oh, Pioneers isn't on this list, yet I know I read it recently. So consider it added.
DECEMBER

(This is supposed to be up here, but I didn't realize it until I was up to February, and no way was I going to re number the whole list: Alcatraz and the Knights of Crystallia, Brandon Sanderson, listed at number 92).
1. Unseen Academicals, Terry Pratchett
2. The House of Many Ways, Dianna Wynne Jones
3. The Year of the Griffin, Dianna Wynne Jones
4. The Dark Lord of Derkholm, Dianna Wynne Jones
5. The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Robert Jordan and Teresa Patterson

NOVEMBER

6. The Gathering Storm, Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
7. Belgarath the Sorceror, by David and Leigh Eddings
8, 9, 10, 11. Books 1, 3, 4, and 5, in the Belgariad, by David Eddings
12. Fantasyland, Dianna Wynne Jones
13.The Sapphire Rose, David Eddings
14. The Ruby Knight, David Eddings
15. The Diamond Throne, David Eddings
16. A Darkness at Sethanor, Raymon Feist
17. Silverthorn, Raymond Feist
18. Anne of the Island, Lucy Maud Montgomery
19. The Linnet Bird, Linda Holeman Crown
20. Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimon
21. The Magic of Recluce, L.E. Modesitt
22. Raney, Clyde Edgerton
23. Three Sisters, Anton Chekhov
24. The Mark of Zorro, Johnston McCulley
25. Cherry Orchard, Anton Chekhov

SEPTEMBER

26. Magician: Master, Raymond E. Feist
27. Magician: Apprentice, Raymond E. Feist
28. Four short stories by Flannery O'Connor
29. Tuck, Stephen Lawhead
30. Scarlet, Stephen Lawhead
31. Hood, Stephen Lawhead
32. The Princess Bride, William Goldman
33. Confessions of a Part Time Sorceress, Shelly Mazzanoble
34. Gulliver's Travels, Jonathon Swift
35. Major Barbara, Bernard Shaw

AUGUST

36. Across the Wall, Garth Nix
37. The Ponder Heart, Eudora Welty
38. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Betty Smith
39. Meeting Amazing Grace, The Lundbergs

JULY

40. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle
41. Human Diversity, Richard Lewontin
42. The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse
43. Delta Wedding, Eudora Welty
44. Sunshine, Robin McKinley
45. Chalice, Robin McKinley
46. The Blue Sword, Robin McKinley

JUNE

47. Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
48. The Soul of a New Machine, Tracy Kidder
49. The Knot in the Grain, Robin McKinley
50. The Door in the Hedge, Robin McKinley
51. The Waste Land, by T.S. Eliot
52. Adam Bede, by George Eliot
53. 101 Living Rooms
54. A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking
55. Jo's Boys, L.M. Alcott
56. Little Men, L.M. Alcott

APRIL

57. Sanditon, by Jane Austen and "Another Lady"
58. Oh, Pioneers! by Willa Cather
59. Avalon, by Stephan Lawhead
60. Rose of the Prophet, volume III, by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman
61. Rose of the Prophet, volume II, by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman
62. A Sister's Test, by Wanda Brunstetter
63. A Sister's Hope, by Wanda Brunstetter
64. These Happy Golden Years, by Laura Ingalls Wilder
65. Little Town on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder
66. The Long Winter, by Laura Ingalls Wilder
67. By the Shores of Silver Lake, by Laura Ingalls Wilder
68. The Little House on the Banks of Plum Creek, by Laura Ingalls Wilder
69. The Rose of the Prophet, by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman
70. The Little House in the Big Woods, by Laura Ingalls Wilder
71. Miss Delacourte Speaks Her Mind, by Heidi Ashworth
72. Posession, by A.S. Byatt

MARCH

73. On Fortune's Wheel, by Cynthia Voight
74 - 79. The Seventh Tower, volumes 1-6, by Garth Nix
80. Abhorsen, by Garth Nix
81. Lirael, by Garth Nix
82. Sabriel, by Garth Nix
83. Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen
84. Making Money, by Terry Pratchett
85. Pride & Prejudice, by Jane Austen

FEBRUARY

86. Rachel & Leah, by Orson Scott Card
87. Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones, by Brandon Sanderson
88. Remind Me Again Why I Need A Man, by Claudia Carroll
89. The Total Money Makeover, by Dave Ramsey
90. Sarah, Plain and Tall, by Patricia MacLachlan
91. Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, by Brandon Sanderson
92. Alcatraz and the Knights of Crystallia, Brandon Sanderson
93. The White Dragon, by Anne McCaffrey
94. Dragonquest, by Anne McCaffrey
95. Country Living, Your House, Your Home, by Randy Florke
96. English Country Cottages, by Sally Griffiths
97. The Undomestic Goddess, by Sophia Kinsella
98. The Organized Home, by Randall Koll
99. Dragonflight, by Anne McCaffrey
100. Another Day, Another Dungeon, by Greg Kostikyan
101. Dragonsinger, by Anne McCaffrey

JANUARY

102. Golden Arches East, edited by James Watson
103. The Prisoner of Zenda, by Anthony Hope
104. Dracula, by Bram Stoker
105. Midnight Sun (half finished), by Stephenie Meyer
106. Breaking Dawn, by Stephenie Meyer
107. Eclipse, by Stephenie Meyer
108. New Moon, by Stephenie Meyer

What do we learn from this list? I read a lot. But also, I read a lot of fluffy fantasy. If I distilled this list down to books I would wholeheartedly recommend for an excellent reading experience and/or importance in history or world thought, the list would be a lot shorter. I was thinking to myself how I feel like I didn't really do much this last year, beyond the day to day grind. I've really felt that I didn't complete much of lasting importance, besides the normal child raising. Well, maybe the fact that I've read a book on average every 3.37 days, and perhaps this explains something. But really, I'll go weeks without reading a book. The last book I read was back in the beginning of December. Which means I really go in spurts, reading books every day for a week, and then not reading for a month, and such like.

I did like keeping a list. Sometimes I would think about the dumb book I was reading, and realizing that it had to go on the list after I finished it, which I think helped improve my reading choices. And I did accomplish one of my 2009 goals, to read more non fiction (hey, for me the few non-fiction on there is reading more. I'm really bad at non-fiction).

1 comment:

  1. Wow! We have very similar tastes. I'm going to have to try a few authors on your list who I haven't before, as many of the others are old friends.

    ReplyDelete