Friday, September 14, 2007

Literature and Warfare

As we prepare for England, I originally wasn't going to bring a single book with me, except for the scriptures, and cast my luck up to the book mobile that comes to Yarnton Manor weekly. Howevever, I've since relized that some books take me a while to read, if they're non fiction, and that it would be nice to have some books to bring for the travel over, for any travels while in country, etc, etc.
So far I'm bringing Idylls of the King, by Lord Alfred Tennyson. It's one of the last Arthurian stories I haven't read (I also need to read the french romances), and Anne of Green Gables loved it, so I'm very confident I shall like it. Then, in a nod to Matt, and my desire to visit the lake country, I have the complete works of William Wordsworth. Also, because of a small misunderstanding between Avram and I, where I showed him Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained, and told him that I didn't really want to read them, although I felt that I should, and he thought I wanted them, and so carried the book to the checkout, thus I also have Milton.
We acquired these books from a local used bookstore, so they're all cheap copies, and so I'm planning on leaving them in England when we go home, so that I may conserve on packing for the trip home.
Unfortunately, our used bookstore doesn't have History of the English Speaking People, by Winston Churchill. So I'll have to trust my luck checking it out in England.
On another note, we received our visas yesterday, and we're officially approved and everything, so now we're definitely going to England. It's starting to feel real, now. For one thing, we have a week and a day left, and haven't finished packing yet (our things that are staying here), nor have we made much headway packing for England, and, and.... Oh, also our house is being bombed. Not really, but the central Marine Corps base is nearby, and occasionally they practice bombing and warfare there, and today is one of those days, so all day long every few minutes the windows rattle and the floor shakes and I feel like I live in the middle of a war torn country, and the enemy is close by. I'm not used to it, and I don't like it.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your warfare experience. I like your blog name, and not just for the interim. It gives me the feeling that there is always more that you would like to say, but you just don't have time. Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this today (sunday the 23rd) and realized you are gone. Sigh. I'm so glad you have a blog so I can keep tabs on you even far away, and know when you come back, and when you name your 7th daughter after me...

    ReplyDelete